Literature
Illustration of Ovid's Metamorphosis

Core Scholar Allison Scott CC‘15 Reflects on Ovid

Published: April 15, 2020

Neuroscience and Behavior major Allison Scott CC ‘15 describes the inspiration for her illustration of Ovid’s Metamorphosis.

Illustration of Ovid's Metamorphosis

View Large Image

“Of the works we journeyed through in Lit Hum, Ovid’s Metamorphoses instantly struck me with its intense visuals. I particularly felt a connection to the passages concerning punishment, warranted or not because each reflects a deep grown fear held by the people, or a voice on the injustice of the world. The three passages depicted are connected in the terror that comes in the form of a vicious creature as the cause of death, and the punishment inflicted because of the pain each produced. However, in each case that seemed as straightforward as good and evil at first, I reflected on the sadness they would express along with their rage, or the pity they may or may not deserve. I crafted each painting from the words of the story, as the imagery in Ovid is undeniably tied to his poetry, but shaped to the form of the animal, with perhaps a touch of regret in their eyes:

Lycaon’s anger turned to the howl of a wolf, only to be washed away by the waters of the flood (Book 1; 165)

Python as the unwanted evil among the earth’s new creations, to be quickly destroyed by a thousand of Apollo’s arrows (Book 1; 416)

Periclymenus in his eagle form, his foolhardy error was facing the might of Heracles (Book 12; 536)”

Core Scholars are students who create Core Reflections to analyze, question, dramatize, interpret and reflect on the works of the Core Curriculum. Core Scholars are selected annually.

Join the discussion

Support the Core

Curiosity should be celebrated. Your support helps maintain and promote the value of the Core Curriculum. 

illustration of people holding up the Core Centennial logo