School of Thought
Saluting Contemporary Civilization for sparking a century of ideas and inspiration.
Starting at the top left and reading clockwise, click and zoom in to enjoy the illustrated ideas of some favorite CC philosophers, listed below, along with their works read in today’s syllabus.
- John Stuart Mill (On Liberty, Utilitarianism, and Other Essays)
- Thomas Hobbes (Leviathan)
- Plato (Republic)
- Karl Marx (The Marx-Engels Reader)
- St. Augustine (City of God, Confessions)
- W.E.B. Du Bois (The Souls of Black Folk)
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau (Discourse on Inequality and Social Contract) and Frederick Douglass
- Mahatma Ghandi (Hind Swaraj)
- Al-Ghazali (The Rescuer from Error) and Rene Descartes (Discourse on Method and Meditations on First Philosophy)
School of Thought originally appeared in the Winter 2019 issue of Columbia College Today.