Core Stories

Rigor, challenge, community

Don C. Hare ’77

When I think about the Core, these three words come to mind...

Core Stories: Kavya Tewari
Kavya Tewari ’20

I appreciated studying Picasso’s work because it reflected an intentional deviation from tradition and the very rules that we learned had

LitHum with the ever-inspiring Clemence Boulouque

Michelle Yan ’20

My favorite Core instructor was...

Pluralism, discovery, synthesis

Alqaim Lalani ’23

Eric Roston Core Stories
Eric Roston ’93

I could write a book about the Core. The late Wallace Gray tinkered with the LitHum syllabus (Shhh! Don't tell anybody).

Intellectual, comprehensive, challenging

Madison Harden ’20

The Core represents an incomparable set of courses that I would not have chosen if given a choice, but which continue to shape my thought...

Toshihiko Saito ’86

...processes today. It is a large part of what makes CU's undergrad experience the best in the world.

Professor Edward Said
Marvin Pilo ’66

I was CC'66 and in my sophomore year, my professor for Lit Hum was Edward Said, who unfortunately passed way of leukemia in 2003 at the u

The Core helped me appreciate that many philosophies are simply a response to personal crisis and, or, greed on the part of the...

Cassandra O'Neal ’92

...individual or societal norms. We can, therefore, always influence people and situations around us.

One of my favorite classes was Art Hum. It wasn't that I loved memorizing the works and the associated details, but what I have come...

Jennifer Lopez ’02

...to appreciate immensely were the experiences that I have had since then.

I remember my first day of lit hum we had a written exam on the Iliad. I immediately understood this was going to be serious...

Peter Kussin ’72

...and I was not proven wrong!

“People should either be caressed or crushed.” - The Prince, Machiavelli

Adina Levin ’11

My Favorite Quote or Passage is... 

It was a thrilling experience; it provided me with a framework for critical analysis that has stayed with me since.

Byron Magafas ’79

My Favorite Instructor was... Thomas Leonard from the History department, for CC in my freshman year.

“To argue that what has not occurred in history shall not occur at all is to argue disbelief in the dignity of man.” - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Elliott M. Abramson

My Favorite Quote or Passage is...

"Falsehood flies on the wings of eagles; truth follows behind in leaden boots" -Gulliver's Travels, Swift

George S. Goldstein ’54

My Favorite Quote or Passage is...

I had three wonderful faculty members, Rudolf Weingartner, Sydney Morgenbesser and Justus Buchler teaching me CC A and CC B.

Elliott M. Abramson ’60

To this day I remember observations each made, stimulating thinking, succouring the ability to criticize critically.

“Thou hast made us for thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee.” Confessions, Augustine

David Alton O'Steen

My Favorite Quote or Passage is...

Aristotle
Nairi Balian ’88

My Favorite Quote or Passage is... "Virtue ...